The Various Lens Replacement Surgery Options:
Your treatment options will vary by your activities, needs, your prescription and by your age. There are three main options, lens replacement, lens implants and laser vision correction:
Aged 50+ Trifocal lenses for a fuller range of vision
Trifocal lenses by Zeiss (AT LISA tri 839MP) are an excellent option for patients. Especially those who want a complete range of focus after cataract or lens replacement surgery. The lens works by splitting the light entering the eye into separate points of focus. Most of the light, approximately 60%, is focused for the distance. With the remainder 40% focus being utilized for close (at 40cm) and intermediate (80cm) vision. The range of glasses’ error that can be corrected is very large. It is approximately +10 to -20 with up to 12 dioptres of astigmatism.
Aged 21 - 55 Implantable Collamer Lenses
The Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL), is a type of refractive procedure to help correct the most common visual problem, Myopia. Simply put, the ICL is a removable lens implant. It is an attractive alternative to LASIK and other refractive procedures. The lens sits in front of your natural lens and is implanted in a minimally invasive manner. The range of prescriptions that can be treated is between +10 and -20 with up to 6 dioptres of astigmatism. For further details, please visit our lens replacement services page.
Aged 20 - 55 Laser vision correction
Lasers used in vision correction produce precise pulses of UV light energy which are delivered accurately onto the cornea. This reshaping can be done on the front surface of the eye by gently removing a thin layer of cells. This procedure is called LASEK. Or it can be done by first forming a flap in the cornea, a procedure called LASIK. This is a well-known procedure for laser vision correction. Treatments from -15 to +6 are possible, as is correction of astigmatism up to 6 dioptres. For patients with problems with reading (presbyopia), monovision or blended vision can be a good option.